Lac La Biche County’s FCSS and Community Development service focuses on people development programs that strengthen the community. FCSS stands for Family and Community Support Services, which is a joint provincial/municipal endeavour. An advisory board composed of local residents and two Councillors make program and funding decisions.
FCSS activities include grant programs, assisting seniors with government forms, information and referral services, volunteer recognition and supports, and workshops.
There are several types of grants available to support local preventative and developmental programs.
- FCSS grants are 80% funded by the Government of Alberta. A major grant is for applications over $2,500. A special grant is for applications under $2,500. You can download a copy of the application for both types of grants by clicking here. Organizations who receive these grants must complete a FCSS Final Report summarizing the impact of the grant. Click here to download the FCSS grant guidelines.
- Community Social Services grants are 100% funded by Lac La Biche County and designed to support social programs that benefit local citizens but are not eligible for FCSS or other County funding.
- Recreation grants are available to support community groups with:
- Community facilities operating funds. Save time by reading the policy and procedures before filling out Schedule B and Schedule C.
- Community facilities capital funds. Save time by reading the policy and procedures before filling out Schedule B and Schedule C.
- Sponsorship of special events. An Event Sponsorship Accountability Report is due 90 days after an event occurs.
- Ad hoc needs or opportunities that do not fit in the other categories.
The FCSS Annual Report has details regarding organizations and programs that received funding grants in the previous year.
- Community Services Directory listing social programs, and a companion Directory of Emergency, Health and Human Services.
- Welcome kits for newcomers. The kits are available for free at the County office in McArthur Place.
- Providing assistance to seniors in accessing government programs and helping low income seniors fill out income tax returns.
- Hosting or co-hosting festivals and events that encourage the family experience and volunteerism, such as Family Day and Volunteer Appreciation Day.
Post Your Community Event
Got a community event you would like to promote?
Post it on our community calendar for free by emailing event details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Workshops on a wide variety of topics including volunteer development, grant writing and babysitting training.
- Hosting inter-agency meetings to foster cooperation and coordination of services.
Parent Link - Lac La Biche Parent Link is a parent support program funded by North Central Child and Family Services. Parent Link offers parent education and child interactive programs throughout the week at the Parent Link Centre (located at the Cenovus Child Mind Centre inside the Bold Center). Parent Link programs are also hosted in partnership with community agencies, such as Plamondon District Community Development Society and Portage College. Email or call the Parent Link Programmers at 780-623-6365 for details.
- Paratransit Bus Service is available for seniors (60+) and people with disabilities traveling within the County. Email or call 780-623-6763 for further information and fees.
- The Child Mind Service at the Bold Center is designed to care for 2-12-year-olds whose parents are using the facilities. Hours of operation vary. Email the coordinator for program details and fees.