Recreational Cannabis Regulations - What You Need To Know
The federal government is legalizing cannabis on October 17, 2018. Lac La Biche County has adopted local regulations to control the sale, production and consumption of recreational cannabis in our municipality.
The Community Standards Bylaw has been updated to address recreational cannabis consumption.
- Cannabis cannot be consumed in public areas, but it may be consumed on private property. Under provincial legislation, it is illegal to smoke or vape inside multi-tenant buildings or residences. There is a $287 fine for smoking, vaping or consuming cannabis in a prohibited area.
- Residents can apply to permit cannabis consumption at a public event by submitting a request to the Chief Administrative Officer. Failing to comply with the conditions of a cannabis event permit will result in a fine of $250.
For more information about the amended Community Standards Bylaw, please contact the Enforcement Services department at (780) 623-6767.
Retail and Production
Bylaw 18-023 was passed on October 2, 2018. This bylaw amends the County’s Land Use Bylaw to address retail and production of recreational cannabis.
According to Bylaw 18-023:
- Cannabis Retail Store and Cannabis Accessory are permitted land uses in Central Commercial and Highway Commercial Districts.
- Cannabis Production Facility is a permitted land use in Light Industrial, General Industrial and Heavy Industrial Districts.
- Cannabis retail stores are not permitted within 100 metres of the following:
- A provincial healthcare facility
- A school
- A vacant parcel of land intended for a future school
- A public park
- A recreation facility
- A library
- A childcare facility
- Cannabis retail stores may operate between 10 a.m. and 2 a.m.
For more information about Bylaw 18-023 and the regulations governing cannabis production and retail stores, please contact the Planning & Development department at (780) 623-1747.