Show/Hide

News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

County partners with TELUS to bring fibre optic network to region, enhancing Internet and wireless speeds in the area

Lac La Biche County to receive enhanced Internet and cellular service starting in 2021

Post Date:03/07/2020 11:51 AM

Today, at the Rob McCormick Memorial Pond Hockey Tournament, Lac La Biche County and TELUS announced a partnership to bring TELUS’ fibre optic network to the region, enhancing wireline Internet connectivity, and preparing for 5G technology in the years ahead. Further enhancing connectivity in the region, TELUS will also build a cell tower in Noral to improve wireless coverage in the County.

“Council and I were very pleased to partner with TELUS to update our Internet infrastructure,” said Lac La Biche County Mayor Omer Moghrabi. “Lac La Biche County is a leader among municipalities in bringing state-of-the-art connectivity to rural Alberta, which will help us attract new businesses and diversify our economy.”

The County and TELUS are sharing the cost of building the network. Beginning in 2020, the County will pay $2,397,500 annually for three years. This represents 44 per cent of the capital costs, with TELUS covering the remaining 56 per cent.

“TELUS is proud to partner with Lac La Biche County to provide next-generation communications infrastructure, ensuring citizens have access to the connectivity required for communities to drive improved, health, social and economic outcomes,” said Brian Bettis, General Manager for Northern Alberta at TELUS. “An advanced fibre network allows residents to enjoy equally fast upload and download speeds, which provides significant benefits for applications like video chatting, gaming, and home security. For businesses, fibre connectivity allows entrepreneurs and start-ups to benefit from the same speeds, functionality, reliability and security that enterprises enjoy. Continuing our strong relationship with Lac La Biche County, TELUS looks forward to empowering our fellow Albertans with this world-class technology.”

TELUS plans to begin construction of the fibre network and cellular tower in 2021. Residents can expect to see TELUS trucks throughout the community as construction begins, and TELUS representatives out knocking on their door to receive permission to connect their home to the network. Once homes are connected, residents can immediately begin taking advantage of dramatically faster and symmetrical Internet speeds.

Return to full list >>