Members of Council are assigned each year to sit on a number of internal committees established by Council and to represent the County on a variety of external committees that impact the municipality. Many of the internal committees have opportunities for public involvement. Residents are encouraged to step forward and volunteer to sit on one or more of these committees. The application is quick and easy, and your expenses will be paid. Contact Legislative Services for more information.
Read our policy and procedure related to serving on committees. The procedure includes a questionnaire (see Schedule A) that all prospective board members must fill out and submit with their applications.
Agricultural/Environmental Appeals Committee
This committee hears appeals regarding notices issued under three different provincial acts - the Soil Conservation Act, the Weed Control Act and the Agricultural Pest Act.
Agricultural Service Board - ASB (3 public members)
This is an advisory board that reviews agricultural matters and policies affecting the County and makes recommendations to Council. The ASB annually sponsors two student bursaries of $1,000 each and Agriculture Appreciation Day every June.
Assessment Review Boards (up to 8 public members)
These boards hear and make decisions on assessment or tax notice complaints.
Emergency Advisory Committee and State of Local Emergency Committee
The committee reviews municipal emergency plans on an annual basis and is responsible for declaring a local state of emergency, if necessary.
Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) Advisory Board (4 public members)
The board promotes/encourages community awareness and participation in FCSS programs. The board acts as a liaison between Council and community groups, makes recommendations on social policies and and advises the County’s Director of Community Services on programming and policies.
Lac La Biche County Crime Reduction Committee (3 public members)
The Crime Reduction Committee makes recommendations with respect to the Enhanced Policing Agreement with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. This Committee will also serve as a conduit for both the RCMP and Enforcement Services department to receive community input on plans, priorities and proposed direction.
Library Board (8 public members)
The board’s mandate is provide County residents with access to a variety of library materials and services.
Municipal Planning Commission (3 public members)
The commission is the development approval authority for all subdivision applications for land (not owned by the County), and discretionary use development applications referred by the County’s Planning and Development department.
Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (8 public members)
This is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals regarding subdivision and development decisions made by the Municipal Planning Commission.
Water Resources Management Task Force
This task force will define the contractual obligations of Portage College and Lac La Biche County in their work to establish Lac La Biche as the regional service provider of the college's Water and Environmental Sciences programming and Ad Hoc Applied Training. This task force commits to working collaboratively to develop a training facility for water and wastewater operators within Lac La Biche County.
Learn more about each group by clicking the name.
- Alberta Bilingual Municipalities Association
- Athabasca Watershed Council
- Buffalo Lake Métis Settlement Economic Development Committee
- Coalition for a Safer 63 & 881/Fort McMurray Traffic Corridor Working Group
- Community Futures – Lac La Biche
- Greater North Foundation
- Lac La Biche and District Chamber of Commerce
- Lac La Biche Golf Club Society
- Lac La Biche Health Services Foundation/Lakeland Doctor Recruitment Board
- Lac La Biche Pow Wow and Fish Derby Association
- Lac La Biche Regional Attraction & Retention Society
- Lac La Biche Traffic Safety Committee
- Lakeland Agricultural Research Association
- Lakeland Archers Event Organizing Committee
- Lakeland Country Regional Trail Working Group
- Lakeland Industry and Community Association
- Lakeland Interpretive Society (Lac La Biche Museum & Discovery Centre)
- Natural Gas Partnership Committee
- Natural Gas System & Natural Gas Issues
- Northeast Alberta Information HUB Ltd.
- Northern Lights Library Board System
- Oil Sands Community Alliance
- Plamondon & District Community Development Society. Call 780-798-3478.
- Portage College Athletics Association
- The Next Step Team - Underutilized Fish Stocks in NE Alberta
- Veteran’s Memorial Highway Association
- VSI Services (Veterinary Services (1980) Ltd.)
- Water North Coalition