Planning & Development

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
T: 780-623-1747

Jump to:
Commercial Development
Subdivision & Rezoning
Subdivision & Development Appeals
County Land Sales
Rural Residents Signs
Fees & Maps
Temporary Seasonal Docks for Personal Recreational Use

Guides for Developers

The County’s Land Use Bylaw spells out what kind of development can be done in the County. It sets out rules for agriculture, residential and rural subdivisions, business and industrial development, and rezoning. All text amendments to the Land Use Bylaw are available by visiting the County's bylaws page, linked here.

Policies, planning documents like General Municipal Servicing Standards and maps, permits, certificates and inspections ensure rules and regulations are clear and enforced. It is strongly recommended people read our Development Information Package before making a development application.

Safety Code Permits

In addition to development approval from the County, safety code permits are also required. These permits ensure that your construction is done in accordance with provincial safety codes and the Safety Codes Act.

Safety code permits are required for all new construction, along with new gas, electrical, plumbing and private sewage disposal system (PSDS) installations. Please be advised that when you make structural changes to an existing building or to any previously installed electrical, gas, plumbing or PSDS systems, these changes also require permits.

Applications for safety code permits and inspections can be submitted online directly through our safety codes service provider, The Inspections Group Inc.

Commercial Developments

Commercial developments are subject to different requirements such as Schedules of Professional Involvement. County planning bylaws and policies commercial developers should be aware of the rescinded Off-site Levies and Access Approach regulations. Copies of the Municipal Development Plan and Area Structure Plans are available upon request.

Subdivision & Rezoning

Before making a rezoning application or subdivision application, please read the County’s Rezoning Information Package or the Subdivision Information Package. Anyone who wants to subdivide or rezone a property must meet the County’s public consultation requirements. Anyone needing more time to meet subdivision approval conditions can fill out and submit a Subdivision Extension request.

Subdivision & Development Appeals

The Subdivision & Development Appeal Board is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals from people who disagree with a development or subdivision decision made by the County’s Municipal Planning Commission. The Board may uphold or reverse the Commission’s decision or change the conditions of approval. The Subdivision & Development Appeal Board is independent of the Commission and the planning and development department. Email Legislative Services or call 780-623-6806 for more information.  

County Land Sales

From time to time land owned by the County becomes surplus. County land sales policy and procedures ensure it is a fair and transparent process.

Rural Residents Signs

People wanting to post a rural address sign must follow County rural residential address guidelines.



The County has south/central and north/east Lac La Biche County ownership maps and Lac La Biche and Plamondon town address maps for sale at County’s main office for a nominal fee. 

Temporary Seasonal Docks for Personal Recreational Use

A Temporary Field Authorization (TFA) is now required from the Government of Alberta to place a seasonal dock or other mooring structures on Crown-owned bed and shore for longer than 14 days. If you are not the waterfront landowner, the Province requires you to obtain written consent from the waterfront landowner before an authorization may be issued.

Many lakeshore properties in Lac La Biche County are separated from the water by a County-owned environmental reserve. These reserves are left in their natural state in order to protect the lake and shore, and to provide public access to the water. Please contact the County for consent to place a dock in front of a municipally-owned environmental reserve by calling 780-623-1747 or emailing Municipal consent will need to be included with your provincial TFA application.

Submit a written request to the Planning & Development department that includes your legal land location and current mailing address. There is no fee for this service, and your request can be submitted via email or in-person at County Centre at 13422 Hwy 881 in the hamlet of Lac La Biche.  

For both the guide and the application form, visit the Government of Alberta website at, or call your local AEP office at 780-623-5240.