Planning and Development

The Planning and Development department regulates property improvements by creating and referring to statutory documents like the Municipal Development Plan, Area Structure Plans, the Land Use Bylaw, and other County policies. Provincial and federal legislation such as the Municipal Government Act (MGA), the Safety Codes Act, and the Environment Protection and Enhancement Act also guide the department's decisions.


Lac La Biche County has adopted a fee schedule with the adoption of Bylaw 21-026 to provide a central location to reference all fees applicable to planning and development services. Click on the link below to be redirected to the fee schedule.

Please Note:  As of January 1, 2022, a development permit application fee of $150 for Agricultural Home Businesses, and a 5% increase to Safety Code Permits has taken effect. An option to purchase a Certificate of Title (COT) for $15 is now available.

Please select a menu item below for more information:

Did you know that the County has policies and procedures in place for requests made from private landowners and businesses to use County owned lands? 

When a request is made to lease lands for agricultural purposes or storage as examples, a Land Lease Agreement would be considered under Policy PI-61-004.

In the event landowners and or businesses wish to enjoy unexclusive use of land owned by the County, such as placing bistro tables and chairs on the sidewalk, a License of Occupation Agreement would be considered under Policy PI-61-015.

Lac La Biche County may consider entering into an Encroachment Agreement with landowners who have constructed a private structure or landscaping improvements which encroaches onto adjoining lands owned by the County. This would be considered under Policy PI-61-014. This does not include lands registered as Environmental Reserve or which are identified as bearing the same traits as Environmental Reserve.

In these instances, a formal letter is required along with the detail of the use or activity. Administration will review the request with the relevant operating department responsible for the subject land and determine if the use or activity is compatible with adjacent land uses. Once the proposal is approved and the agreement is signed, there may be applicable fees associated with the use and or activity. 

The Planning and Development department is responsible for managing the Leases, License of Occupation and Encroachment agreements for the County. A record of each agreement is placed as a caveat on the property and in addition, a copy is placed in the land file.

Lac La Biche County also recognizes the requirements of residents to apply for leasing and or purchasing non-required statutory road allowances and registered forced road allowance respectively, which would result in a road closure. If residents wish to begin this process, an application form along with the applicable fees are required. There may be additional costs associated with the matter and determined on case by case basis. This process is regulated under Policy PI-30-017.

A copy of each policy can be found by clicking on the links below. 

For More Information contact Planning and Development:

780-623-1747   |

Associated Links:

Encroachment Policy - PI-61-014

License of Occupation Agreement - Policy PI-61-015

Land Lease Agreement Policy - Policy PI-30-004

Property owners wanting to post a rural address sign must follow County rural residential address guidelines. More information about residential addressing signs can be obtained by contacting the Planning and Development Department.

Rural Residential Address Guidelines

Substrate - H5052H38 Sign Grade Aluminum

Sign Face - 3M High Intensity Prismatic Reflective Sheeting


Rural Address Signs - 8 inch (20.32 cm) high: 9-13 Characters - 40" (101.6 cm); 14-17 Characters - 50" (125 cm)

Rural Hamlet Lot Sign - 8 inch (20.32 cm) high: 4 Characters - 12" (30 cm)

Country Residential Subdivision Lot Signs - 8 inch (20.32 cm) high: 1-3 Characters - 12" (30 cm)

Size Lettering -  4" lettering Hwy C or Clearview 1B.  Note: Some areas use 5.5" single digit 25 x 20 cm

Mounting Holes

- two 3/8 inch holes on each end to assist in mounting of rural sign.

- two 3/8 inch holes in middle of sign to assist in mounting of lot sign.


Message - White

Background - Green


U-Channel post and hardware, bolts, nuts, washers, etc


For More Information contact Planning and Development:

780-623-1747   |

The Subdivision & Development Appeal Board (SDAB) is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals from people who disagree with a development or subdivision decision made by the County’s Municipal Planning Commission. The Board may uphold or reverse the Commission’s decision or change the conditions of approval. 

The SDAB is independent of the Commission and the planning and development department and operates under the authority of The Land and Property Rights Tribunal (LPRT), formally known as the Municipal Government Board (MGB). 

If your property is adjacent to a provincial highway or waterbody, appeals are submitted to the Land & Property Rights Tribunal (LPRT).

For More Information contact Legislative Services:

780-623-6806  |

A Temporary Field Authorization (TFA) is now required from the Government of Alberta to place a seasonal dock or other mooring structures on Crown-owned bed and shore for longer than 14 days. If you are not the waterfront landowner, the Province requires you to obtain written consent from the waterfront landowner before an authorization may be issued.

Many lakeshore properties in Lac La Biche County are separated from the water by a County-owned environmental reserve. These reserves are left in their natural state in order to protect the lake and shore, and to provide public access to the water. Please contact the County for consent to place a dock in front of a municipally-owned environmental reserve by calling 780-623-1747 or emailing Municipal consent will need to be included with your provincial TFA application.

Submit a written request to the Planning & Development department that includes your legal land location and current mailing address. There is no fee for this service, and your request can be submitted via email or in-person at County Centre at 13422 Hwy 881 in the hamlet of Lac La Biche.  

For both the guide and the application form, contact the Government of Alberta:


Local AEP office:  780-623-5240