Planning and Development

1-780-623-1747 |

Every parcel of land in Lac La Biche County belongs to a zoning category. In the Land Use Bylaw, each zoning category has specific regulations. When you apply for a development permit, we make sure that what you are proposing follows the regulations that apply for your parcel.

If you are planning a project, big or small, please contact the Planning and Development Department to confirm what permits or approvals that may be required. A development permit must be issued prior to the work starting or the application is subject to a double fee being charge.

Ready to apply for a development permit? Click here for the application form.

Lac La Biche County has created simplified development brochures to share information and answer frequently asked questions. 

These can be viewed by clicking on the brochures below:

About the Land Use Bylaw

The Municipal Government Act requires every municipality to adopt a Land Use Bylaw (LUB). The LUB establishes regulations to control the type, location and intensity of land use and developments within Lac La Biche County. The LUB also outlines the process for rezoning or subdividing land and applying for permits to regulate development in the community.

The purpose of the LUB is to:

  • Divide Lac La Biche County into land use districts;
  • Establish development permit, rezoning and subdivision processes;
  • Set standards for building height, size and location;
  • Determine sets of rules for each land use district, including permitted and discretionary uses;
  • Determine parking, landscaping and building design standards;
  • Implement the vision of the Municipal Development Plan and adopted Area Structure Plans.

When a Development Permit is not required:

- accessory buildings smaller than 110ft2 in size and under 8.0 ft in height

-new deck construction that is under 2.0 ft above grade

-temporary fabric structures (example the carports purchased from Canadian Tire)

-fence construction, or other means of yard enclosure that is 2.0 m (6.6 ft) or less in the side and rear yard and 1.0 m (3.3 ft) in the front yard)

-maintenance or repairs, providing that such work does not includes structural alterations or a change in use

-mobile food service unit (example food truck)

-above ground pools and play equipment

*To view the full list, please refer to Section D1.3 of our Land Use Bylaw or contact a Development Officer.

NOTE:  If the proposed accessory building is on skids, a development permit is still required unless it meets the requirements noted above.

Compliance Certificates

Lac La Biche County can provide a certificate of compliance for your property. This is a formal certification issued by Lac La Biche County that confirms the parcel of land has met the requirements and regulations of the Land Use Bylaw with respect to Use, Setbacks and previously issued development permits. The certificate of compliance does not take into account height or safety code permits.

Why would you need a certificate of compliance? Typically, a certificate of compliance is required for any land transaction. 

To apply for a Certificate of Compliance a registered owner, or an agent on their behalf, can submit a request . The landowner and or agent must provide:

  • A completed application form, signed by all registered owners
  • A current Real Property Report prepared by an accredited Alberta Land Surveyor (dated no earlier than one (1) year prior to the date of submittal 
  • A copy of the certificate of title (issued by a registry office no more than thirty (30) days prior to the date of application).
  • The application fee of $50.

NOTE: the Real Property Report shall include all development on the lands and show all the distances of buildings from the property lines and in between buildings. Once submitted, the Development Officer has thirty (3O) days to review the application and issue the certificate. 

In some cases, during the file review, it can be found that the existing buildings and or Use is non-conforming with the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw. In these instances, the Development Officer will notify the applicant and issue a letter of non-compliance.

Changes in Use

A change in use may trigger the requirement of both a development and building permit. For example: if you are converting your residence into a salon or changing an existing commercial building to residential use.

Safety Codes

In addition to the development permit, your project may also require Safety Code Permits. These include, but do not limit: Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Private Sewage. The Inspections Group is the County’s contracted services provider who approves and inspects all projects to ensure compliance with the applicable Provincial legislation. Click on the link below to view more information in their website about safety codes.

Expedited Building Permits

For experienced developers who are looking to expedite the building permit process, please see the Conditional Building Permit Requirement links below. If one of them applies to the work you are doing you may use this form instead of the traditional one. This should only be used for experienced developers.

For more information contact the Inspections Group at 1-780-454-5048 or

Associated Links:

Development Information Package

Development application

Planning and Development Simplified Brochures 

Planning and Development Fees and Fines (Schedule A)

Electrical Fee Schedule

Gas Fee Schedule

General Municipal Servicing Standards

Plumbing Fee Schedule

Schedules of Professional Involvement