Members of Council are appointed each year to sit on a number of internal committees established by Council and to represent the County on a variety of external committees that impact the municipality. Many of the internal committees have opportunities for public involvement and residents are encouraged to consider serving as a Member-at-Large.
To find out more please click on the link below to view a brochure about the application process. Please contact Legislative Services for more information about serving on a committee.
Read our policy and procedure related to serving on committees.
The role of the Economic Development Advisory Committee is to provide Lac La Biche County Council guidance on general section direction for the purpose of prioritization of policies, objectives and projects related to strategic goals and outcomes for economic development.
This committee hears appeals with respect to notices issued under the Weed Control Act and Agricultural Pests Act.
Assessment Review Board - Local Assessment Review Board/Composite Assessment Review Board (up to 10 public members)
These boards hear and make decisions on assessment or tax notice complaints other than property tax notices for Residential Properties (with three or less dwelling units or farmland) or Non-Residential Properties, and Residential Property with four or more dwelling units.
The committee reviews municipal emergency plans on an annual basis and is responsible for declaring a local state of emergency, if necessary.
The board promotes/encourages community awareness and participation in FCSS programs. The board acts as a liaison between Council and community groups, makes recommendations on social policies and and advises the County’s Associate CAO, Recreation and Community Services, on programming and policies.
The Indigenous Collaboration Committee (formerly the Aboriginal Liaison Committee) will host quarterly meetings with Indigenous Communities and Organizations in a renewed commitment of reconciliation, strengthening relationships, gaining cultural perspectives and achieving equitable outcomes with neighbouring Indigenous Communities and Organizations all while sharing ideas, solutions and opportunities.
The board’s mandate is provide County residents with access to a variety of library materials and services.
The commission is the development approval authority for all subdivision applications for land (not owned by the County), and discretionary use development applications referred by the County’s Planning and Development department.
The Safer Municipality Advisory Committee makes recommendations with respect to the Enhanced Policing Agreement with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. This Committee will also serve as a conduit for both the RCMP and Enforcement Services department to receive community input on plans, priorities and proposed direction.
This is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals regarding subdivision and development decisions made by the Municipal Planning Commission.
Learn more about each group by clicking the name.
- Alberta Bilingual Municipalities Association
- Athabasca Watershed Council
- Buffalo Lake Métis Settlement Economic Development Committee - Please refer to the Lac La Biche County Indigenous Collaboration Committee (denoted above)
- Caribou Sub-Regional Task Force-Wandering River Planning Area
- Community Futures – Lac La Biche
- Greater North Foundation
- Lac La Biche Golf Club Society
- Lac La Biche Health Services Foundation/Lakeland Doctor Recruitment Board
- Lac La Biche Region Watershed Stewardship Society
- Lac La Biche Regional Attraction & Retention Society
- Lac La Biche Traffic Safety Committee - Please refer to the Lac La Biche Safer Municipality Advisory Committee (denoted above)
- Lakeland Agricultural Research Association
- Lakeland Country Regional Trail Working Group
- Lakeland Industry and Community Association
- Lakeland Interpretive Society (Lac La Biche Museum & Discovery Centre)
- Natural Gas Partnership Committee
- Natural Gas System & Natural Gas Issues
- Northeast Alberta Information HUB Ltd.
- Northern Lights Library Board System
- Oil Sands Community Alliance
- Plamondon & District Community Development Society. Call 780-798-3478.
- Portage College Athletics Association
- Safer Roads Alliance
- The Next Step Team - Underutilized Fish Stocks in NE Alberta
- VSI Services (Veterinary Services (1980) Ltd.) - Please refer to the Agricultural Services Board (denoted above)