Lac La Biche County is excited to announce that the redevelopment of McArthur Park, located in the heart of the hamlet of Lac La Biche, will start in summer 2023.
Timeline and Budget
Council has provided direction to complete the redevelopment project in three phases, with all work finished by fall 2025.
The overall project budget is $7.3 million.
Starting July 4, 2023, areas of McArthur Park will be closed for construction (see the map below: areas in red mark the location of the closures). For your and your family's safety, please stay out of barricaded areas. Please also note:
- The Paul Richard Memorial Spray Park and Rotary Gazebo will be open for the entire 2023 construction season. Over the next few weeks, some segments of the trail leading to the Spray Park may need to be temporarily closed. However, signage and detours to keep the Spray Park accessible will be put in place.
- Access to the McArthur Park beach and playground will be maintained. However, both of these amenities may see temporary closures later in the 2023 construction season.
Closures areas may change throughout the construction season. Lac La Biche County will update the public as work advances.
A First-Class Beach, a Cultural Hub, and Public Square: New Features in McArthur Park
The redevelopment plan features new pedestrian walkways, numerous seating areas, tree and shrub planting, and the naturalization of some segments of existing shoreline.
The County will pursue regulatory approvals to provide users with a first-class beach experience. Other shoreline developments include a seasonal dock to allow boaters to access the Park during ice-free months, as well as a permanent pier to enjoy views of Lac La Biche Lake and the northern lights.
Other features include:
- new bike skills park and pump track;
- a skateboard park;
- an outdoor market area;
- improved lighting;
- a historical and cultural commemorative garden; and
- a public square featuring a holiday tree for annual light-up events.
This design is intended to create opportunities for many year-round activities and events, with an emphasis on celebrating local culture, providing more comfortable places for wintertime programming and activities for all ages.
How the Concept Was Developed
Conceptual planning for McArthur Park started in 2020, which included engagement with residents, local stakeholders and County Council as the plan was redeveloped. Options were then presented to County Council starting early 2021, providing direction based on public opinion, and ensuring the Park includes locally-relevant design features.
For more information, please contact Darrell Lessmeister, Associate CAO of Recreation and Community Services, at email@example.com or 780-623-6816.